Friday, August 15, 2014

A General Word About Decks

There is a right and wrong way to build a deck.

I don't understand why people are consistently saying that "Oh, my deck is built differently than yours, but that doesn't mean it's worse" and then attempt to justify their weird, awkward jumble of cards using pathos-based logic and circumstantial evidence. Seriously? You do realize you're playing a card game, right? You're not trying to write a literary paper or attempt to sway an audience to believing what you're saying. You're trying to build a deck that maximizes efficiency and synergy while maintaining optimal performance in all situations. This isn't something you can casually BS your way out of.

I was recently in a conversation with a person who heavily disagreed with the math and science behind the testing and calculations a group of us were doing. I eventually asked him what was wrong with the math that I was presenting. And you know what response I got? "We're not talking about science. We're talking about a card game."

Dear friend, if a card game isn't science, then please, what in the world is it?
Tensai Annoyed
Please enlighten me
Every single card game in the entire universe will always be founded on three things: a predetermined population size, a constantly varying sample size, and an array of algorithms to iterate through the population. Do you know what this means? It means everything can be calculated. Everything. Every move, every action, every draw, every card will have both a number and a percentage attached to it. All card games are based in numbers and steeped in probability. To deny this fundamental fact is to deny the idea of playing a card game.

Until you admit that an optimal solution exists for everything, you will never improve and you will never reach a high-level of competitive play. This is just the cold hard truth.

Alright, I'm done ranting

Now that I've hopefully shocked or drilled into you the fact that this is a numbers game and that math is important, I can back off slightly by saying that building a deck is definitely a form of art. Numbers aren't always everything - most of the values in a card game are beyond our capacity to simulate consistently. It takes a trained eye to see the strategies, combinations, and opportunities that a 50-index set has to offer. Everybody will have their own approach and will ultimately arrive at different solutions that, as long as the right methods and the right calculations are used, will be equally potent and equally viable.
Tensai Bluff
Hey, if that's what it takes for you to learn something
Here at BF Theory, I won't go about preaching the One True Build or mandating a compulsory metagame simply because they don't exist (and let us pray that they never will). Buddyfight, with its unique game mechanics and card types, allows for a large amount of freedom with its card selection and deck building. For Vanguard players, this will be a huge relief and a major upside; for Weiss players, this is just more of the good stuff you're used to. However, I will highlight certain key ideas that decks need to follow. I'll also be constantly relying on the advantage scale to calculate the worth of individual cards - but when the big picture starts forming, it's important to know when to drop the petty details and when to embrace the masterpiece.

Every Deck

has three things: a playstyle, an engine, and a winning image.

Baku
The master is here
The playstyle of a deck is how it performs throughout a game. Is it focused on doing a lot of damage upfront (aggressive)? Is it focused on prolonging the game (stall)? What about maintaining field and hand dominance (control)? How about predicting and outwitting your opponent's plays (counter)? Does it peak early (rush), middle (midgame), or late (endgame)? Or what if it just does a bit of  everything (toolbox)? These are just a few examples. This overall theme is the most important thing to get down in a deck, because every single card must be able to contribute to this theme. If you choose to implement too many themes, your deck becomes scattered and inconsistent, attempting to perform too many jobs and not actually succeeding at any. Choose one or two and focus your attention to making sure that your deck will shine in those areas; if you have room later, you can always add more.

Baku and Kuguru
Best Support Team
The engine of a deck is how it gains advantage during a game. This is where math comes in. You need a way to turn your draws into more draws, your heals into more heals, your gauge into dominance and your monsters into threats. Decks revolve around a central way of gaining advantage. Sometimes, it's as simple as 4-12 spells that just give you more resources than what you put in. Other times, it's a complicated mesh of half your deck that intricately intertwine to create a massive web of advantage gain. It's up to you to find which fits your playstyle and deck the best. Remember, every deck needs to have this, otherwise they'll find themselves outpaced by decks that have got their engine optimized.

Baku x Kuguru
Free Shipping
The winning image of a deck is the clear, definitive series of events that should lead to a certain victory. Basically, if the entire match was a story, this would be your "good end", the ending that you want to reach. This is the ideal way for you to crush your opponent into oblivion, your dream moment of triumph. A good winning image often makes a good deck. Of course, your winning image has to be reasonable and consistently attainable. If your winning image involves some ridiculous strategy that requires many specific unique cards and an inordinate amount of gauge, then chances are you won't be able to win via winning image often - thus defeating the purpose of having one in the first place. This should be a result that your deck can work towards on multiple levels, something your deck can achieve in more than one way. A winning image gives your deck direction and purpose and above all, a thirst for victory.

Testing

I haven't tested any of these decks. There's really no fair tiering system to work with, so there's really no point to perform batch testing en masse. I have run a few trials with the decks just to make sure they draw fine and have the 3 key points, but not enough to give some kind of valued estimate to just how good the decks are. This blog is Buddyfight Theory, remember, not Buddyfight Scientific Law.

Feel free to test the life out of any deck I post. However, I should remind you that testing is something that is done seriously. It's not as simple as bringing the deck to your local cardshop and playing with some random stranger you find there. Testing is done in a controlled environment where all variables should be heavily monitored and maintained.
Ritsu taking a test
It's pretty easy to tell when you just make up the numbers
FIrstly, you can only ever test with yourself. This is to maintain the variable of skill. Different players will be at different skill levels, so playing against other people might not show that one deck is better but that one player is better.

Secondly, you must shuffle thoroughly always. This is to maintain the variable of randomness. Yes, this is a variable, and yes, this can be controlled. There are articles on how to shuffle and how much will actually provide a reasonable randomized, er, randomness. I've heard 7 riffle 7 strip is adequate for 50 card decks.

Lastly, you must test a lot. 10 times? 20 times? 30 times? Actually, you can never test enough. They say that for digital mahjong players to fully appropriate their skill level, they need to play a thousand hands of mahjong (by the way, that's about 125 hanchan games). If you want a definite number, 50 or 100 sounds solid. The standard deviation should have stabilized by then.

If you do decide to test my decks, by all means let me know your findings. I'll be sure to add results to my articles with proper attribution (but I'll be checking your work first!). Maybe in the future I can hire/recruit a full-time testing staff. That would be amazing.

Stay educated, guys!

13 comments:

  1. I just realized.....IM a bad deck maker...I make my own decks...and I see where i went wrong with all of them. I never made a deck for a style....I just threw good cards together...........I thank you for this article since.......Its kinda depressing seeing how badly i`ve been wrong this whole time...
    I wonder if I can find a deck style I want. or really any deck I can try to make, good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not trying to defend the "Oh, my deck is built differently than yours, but that doesn't mean it's worse" mentality, but I would like to present that that attitude can arise from an "occult" player trying to get small scale advice ('piloting' advice, or changing out a single card or two) and getting met with a V-Mundi-esque "You didn't build your deck so as to fit within THE META or THE ONE TRUE WAY TO BUILD [ARCHETYPE]. You're dumb and wrong, and I'm going to keep mocking you until you see things my way." And when they get met with that enough, they retreat to that mentality because while they may not be winning every single game and every single match, they're winning enough for their ego to be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It's really hard to find the right balance, the right approach. A good player should know and understand both sides, since there is something to be gained in each perspective. I hope that I don't scare anybody away, but I do want to be firm on fundamental points.

      From my perspective, the "digital" style is appropriate for deckbuilding while the "occult" style finds more use during an actual game, where sometimes playing a bit by faith can be the right move.

      Also, interesting how you used "occult" as the opposite to "digital" without me saying anything. Mahjong player spotted :D

      Delete
    2. I have dabbled on Tenhou occasionally, but I'm just parroting words I saw you use on... Pojo I think it was? Either way, it's pretty handy to have ways of describing player mentalities, even if they can be as inconsistent as the ones Wizards came up with for MTG.

      Delete
    3. They're a bit more consistent than that. Consistent enough to warrant an article. Foreshadowing much.

      Delete
  3. I don't quite understand how a Hybrid Dungeon World Deck runs, so can someone tell me what its playstyle and its engines are? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is...a rather difficult question to answer in full, especially here. I suggest you search around Pojo and/or the Buddyfight Facebook groups and ask around there.

      Delete
  4. Could you explain the perfect way to randomize a 52 (including flag and buddy) deck so that there would be a smaller chance of drawing a whole hand of spells or monsters please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't explain it, but I can direct your attention to 2 sources: first, this article by a fellow cardgame analyst on shuffling: http://www.v-mundi.com/2012/shuffling-randomization/

      Which is in turn based on this Math 450 course section: http://www.math.wustl.edu/~feres/Math450shuffling.pdf

      Basically, a good shuffle will give you the most random array of cards for a starting hand which, if your deck was built correctly, should result in a decent balance of monsters and spells.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, love your articles btw

      Delete
  5. Could you actually help me with Legend World heroes? :(
    I have a few problems with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this article. I ate everything. Thanks for the knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. any chance of you making a Tarot Deck design available to us readers? Generics get no love, but Tarot seems cool to me

    ReplyDelete